My Birthday

My birthday was last weekend.  I am now 28!  I got to do fun stuff all weekend.  Saturday morning while out doing some normal grocery/pet food shopping, Pat stopped at a game store and I got to pick out a new game for my party that evening. 

Pat made beef stew with home-baked bread (from the freezer) for dinner, and his parents and Brent & Megan came over.  Dinner was delicious, and Megan made some awesome giant red velvet cupcakes for dessert.  Pat's parents gave me $50 to add to my $100 RC Willey gift card so that I can buy the Kinect that I want (just as soon as they get one in).



After dinner Pat's parents left to let us kids play, so we broke out my new game: Pirate's Cove.  It is made by the same people as Ticket to Ride, which is a game we really love, and the game store owner said that they guarantee you will like it or you can get your money back.  It was quite complicated to start from scratch and figure out what we were doing. 

By the time we got everything set up, my brother and Liz & Aaron had showed up, so we decided to take a break and play Rock Band instead so we could switch out and everyone could play.  Liz & Aaron had to leave early because of work, so after they left we started playing Pirate's Cove.  We finally got the (basic) hang of it, and had a good time while we were at it. 

By the time the game was over it was pretty late, so Brent & Megan headed home too.  Since it was so late, I decided to make a run to Wal-Mart while it was mostly empty.  I had been looking for some light green shatterproof ornaments and hadn't been able to find them anywhere else.  They did have some, so maybe I will finally get around to putting up a Christmas tree...

Sunday morning (after sleeping in a while) we went up the the hospital to visit Grandma Belle and meet Pat's parents.  After the hospital we went to TGI Fridays for lunch, and then went shopping.  They wanted to get us stuff for Christmas, and stuff from Grandma Belle for my birthday.  It was lots of fun having a girl to shop with while the boys sat and waited and carried out bags.  Plus spending someone else's money is always more fun!

We ended our afternoon with one more trip to the hospital to show Grandma what she bought for me.  Then we had to get home and let the pups out before heading to my parents' house for dinner.

We had a usual Sunday dinner at my parents': roast beef, veggies, rolls, and LOTS of mashed potatoes with gravy (the best part).  After dinner we played chickenfoot, which we apparently hadn't taught my family before.



Then we took a little break to eat dessert and open presents!  My sister made me crepes for dessert, by my request.  They were delicious. 



Then it was present time.  I had already seen a few presents because my mom made me try on some shirts so she knew they fit.  I also picked out a hat while I was shopping with her at Gardner Village.  But, she also gave me a Fiesta brand tablecloth that perfectly matches my kitchen (bright stripes), and some ceramic pie weights for baking pie crust shells.  I am excited to try them out.

My sister gave me an adorable little zippered pouch that she made herself!  I was so proud.  Plus some cute little birds that she painted yellow and green instead of the boring black they were to begin with.

The only downside to the entire weekend is that I started to get a cold Saturday night.  My throat started hurting, and then Sunday it got worse and my nose got stuffy.  Monday (when I am writing this) my throat was better, but I left work after half a day because I was so miserable.  I've been sneezing and sniffling all day.  I've been taking medicine, but I don't think it is helping very much.  It stinks not being able to give Grandma a kiss or play with my nephew. Hopefully it will be a fast one and will be gone before this weekend.

Sickness aside, I really enjoyed my birthday weekend this year!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

You DID have a great birthday this year - and you deserved it! Can't wait to see the outfits you come up with for all your new clothes!